Toya Tanis is the owner of New Family Naturals, a specialty food store and juice bar in Reston, VA. She received her Bachelor’s degree from Marymount University, where she studied Communications and Fine Arts. She went on to earn a Master’s in Linguistics from George Mason University, which allowed her to pursue work as a college professor and professional writer. After spending two more years working toward her PhD, she had an epiphany in the form of a health scare. Debilitating illness led Toya to seek out alternative options to
traditional medical care. What she learned about health and healing led to the creation of New Family Naturals, which at its core is devoted to helping others achieve the health and life they desire.
Our Family. New Family Naturals was founded on the premise that we all should live a life of joy, meaning and productivity. To that end, we’ve discovered that consistently doing the things we love makes our lives happier and more fulfilled. We each have unique gifts to share, and by lifting ourselves up to our highest potential, we hope to lift our families, friends, and communities.
- Are your snacks raw/living foods?
- Yes. Everything is dehydrated below 115 degrees F.
- Are your snacks gluten free?
- Yes! All of our snacks are prepared without the use of wheat or gluten-containing ingredients and people with celiac or wheat intolerance eat our snacks every day. We take every precaution to maintain the integrity of our products and ingredients but, for those with severe allergies, please be aware that we produce our products in a facility that processes such products.
- Why do my kale chips/flax crackers taste a little different than the last bag I ordered?
- We process our all natural ingredients in small batches to maintain a high quality and delicious taste. However, since we use all natural ingredients, they may not taste the same every time. This means that our organic chili spice may be spicier (or less spicy) from batch to batch. Likewise, the kale or bell peppers we use may have a slightly different taste as we move through the seasons.
- Why did you decide to donate part of your profits to charity? That’s awfully nice of you.
- We have a thing for giving money away. We’d like to be professional philanthropists one day.
- What are flax seeds? Are they a type of sesame seed?
- Although flax are about the same size as sesame seeds, they come from different plants. They are an EXCELLENT source of dietary fiber as well as omega 3 fatty acids.
- Are the Mexican Spice Flax Crackers spicy?
- No. The word “spice” just refers to the actual spices (ex: cumin) that are used. It’s quite mild; kids love it!
- Do your products contain nuts?
- Yes, some of them do. Both flavors of kale chips contain nuts. The flax crackers and trail mix do not contain nuts; they do, however, contain various seeds.
- How long will my snacks last?
- All of our snacks are shelf stable. Unopened, they will last several months. We recommend storing them the same way you would chips or crackers (say, in the cupboard) for optimal freshness. Once opened, they will still taste good for 2-3 weeks.